penny August 14th, 2005
Scary and nasty buggers centipedes are. Doesn’t it just chill your spine to see one move so fast even from a distance? The thought of one to have touched my skin this morning is horror! More awful thought than a cockroach! (Although I read just now that centipedes prey on cockroaches, so in that aspect horrah for them)
I’ve known all my life that centipede bites are venomous. I had a chance to tweak that belief to “poisonous and may be lethal to small vertebrates” and “have been know to be mortal in a single case worldwide: a 7-year old Filipino girl bitten in the head by a 23-inch long centipede”. [reference]
So good, I’m not yet set to leave this world. Not exactly the way to go as I’ve imagined.
I never experienced an “insect” bite this painful. I woke up suddenly to a needle-like prick to my right side. I didn’t realize I’ve been bitten until I saw a centipede (about 3-quarters of a foot long) snaking away across the side of the bed. Awful horrible sight, and my first instinct was to search the internet…
These Asian red centipedes’ fangs have poison but, lucky for me, not enough to kill a person. My dad says the venom makes it really painful, gawsh…. and yes the internet does say it could be worse. I’m actually feeling very heavy on my right side, as if I had a vise clamped down hard. It’s been that way for 2 hours now. The stabbing pain could last for hours the internet says, or weeks in some cases. What a way to start my hellish last two weeks in school.
Trusty liniment has calmed me down now.
Word of the day: INNOCUOUS = Harmless!